Monday 19 December 2011

The Engineering Saga-I


I was really confused!


When it came to my career choice, I often wondered what I am going to be. My school friend Raushan coveted to be a successful lawyer, though he rarely mentioned among our group. He wanted to be like his grandfather; a Judge.

Chandan, Saurav and other friends of mine were desirous to join IIT (Indian Institute of Technology). Although they couldn't make through it but they are in highly reputed college now. And Apoorva was like me; aimless. He had an unavowed desire of becoming a super-model. As a matter of fact, he had started keeping longer hair. Now, he's pursuing Masters in Environmental Science, from Fergusson College. I haven't met him since we departed from our boarding school. He's changed a lot, physically and intellectually as well. But for me he's the same person. At times, he seems like a womeniser but I am not sure about it, unless I meet him.
And I had never thought about it, all I thought about eating.


I was in Bokaro Steel City, a hub of engineering-exam preparing students, during my high school. I had no clue about engineering, what it is, what to do, and all other stuffs. I was just filling the forms of various colleges, and gaze at their prospectus. All I wanted to join merchant navy by hook or by crook. 

When result of my 12th declared, I was not so happy and nor were my parents. As the result was not up to his expectation so my father finally gave his acquiescence for my joining the academy of merchant navy.
All I wanted this: merchant navy= huge wallet


I couldn’t be there for a longer period and came back. The reasons of my homecoming from the academy are classified. I reached home heavy heartedly for I left what I wanted most in my life. My father asked about what I wanted to be in my life and imposed his desire for making me an Engineer.

I wanted to be anything of my type but engineer, even a shopkeeper would do but engineer would not.  But my father is a kind of person who will talk to you in a way that you’ll always think: “Argh…darn man! What was I thinking, this man sounds sensible and how stupid I was thinking”

So, the question was what I wanted to be.
“What happened to your NDA result”, my father enquired.
“Its result is not out yet”, I responded as I have no idea when its result would be declared.
NDA (National Defence Academy); this was my top priority


“NDA should be your first priority. We belong to the Rajput clan and it must be our first priority to join the armed forces” mentioned my father. Rajput is a clan known for its desperate determination of fighting and serving the defense force of India since ancient period. But now it’s also known for its headstrong nature.
“Sure papa, I’ll give my best to get into it.” I responded favorably.
“God forbid, but if you do not make through this NDA, do you have any back-up plans??” he inquired.

“Yes, I do have. I want to go for fashion designing” I said in most convincing way I can. I had applied for the NIFT too.
what I thought fashion technology be like.

“What??” Retorted my father, “you want to be a fashion designer?," 

“What you’ll do there, this field has got no prospect, and do you want to sew blouse and petticoat ??”
What my father perceived by fashion designing

“No, it’s not that fashion designers do that, there are various other courses available there” I reacted accentuating my view.
 “No, no, don’t do it” riposted my father, “you’ll land nowhere”
“Well, that’s a bit glamorous world and I don’t want you to go towards that. We belong to middle-class, we live in a very simple way possible, away from any glamour and distraction”. My father laid down the law.

I cogitated about this so called middle class. Who are these middle class anyway? There are still no universally accepted criteria for defining the middle class. Fundamentally, they are neither rich nor poor. Neither do they live in opulence nor do they live in destitution. Even the income criteria have not been benchmarked for them. According to the National Council of Applied Economics Research (NCAER), a family with an annual income between Rs. 3.4 lakh to Rs. 17 lakh comes under this category. It’s become stylish to deride the “middle class morality” and “middle class mentality” without even having clue what the heck it actually mean. Yes, the middle class is materialistic and a bit orthodox. Arrange marriage is strictly followed and love marriage is looked down upon.  They believe in incremental change. But they are also progressive in many respects. They are adaptable to any changes. They hate violence and provide stability and order to society. Mahatma Gandhi, I don’t adore him but my country does, was also a middle class and so were many great people.
we the middle-class population

This middle class is tagged with selfishness on every occasion. If being focused on providing a decent life to one’s family through hard work is selfishness, then other class of the society too will face the same tag. If middle classes aspire to get rich through honest means and paying taxes, what’s wrong? Nobody wants to live in penury, right??
I really don’t have problem with what I’ve blabbered up, my only problem is why they run away from limelight. (I am being a bit selfish; I belong to middle classJ anyway.)

“Why don’t you drop a year and join some engineering college??” my father advised me the very next morning.

“I am not going to drop my year at any expense” I said in a very firm voice.
“See, you are a good student, so just drop a year and take some coaching classes if you want and crack any engineering examination and get good college” he tried to convince me.

“What’s the guarantee that I’ll crack it next year?” I asked. Only I knew how brilliant I was.
“So, what other options do you have??” asked my father.
“Well, my next choice would be hotel management” I said confidently,” and I m sure, I’d make through it”.
what I thought about Hotel Management

“Noooo….are you going to be chef??” this was my mother, and this was the longest NO I’ve ever heard from her.
What my mother thought about Hotel management

“But I love food” I put my point.
“Listen! Cooking and experimenting with food is your hobby, but don’t mix your hobby with your profession” My father sounded sensible.
“Furthermore, if you are going to be chef of a hotel, that hotel will ruin, as you’ll finish everything over there” my mother said sarcastically.
“Ok…give me time, I’ll tell you tomorrow” I responded coldly.

                                                             to be continued.....


Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test